Check your email after registering for your Online Packet

How can I apply for Section 8 rental assistance and fill out a rental assistance application?

The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program is a form of government subsidized rental assistance. In order to receive assistance with your rent, you must be of low income. Programs like Public Housing and Section 8 are for people that fall within HUD’s median low income limits. Applications are always free. Public Housing is often referred to as low income housing. The same guidelines apply if an applicant wants to apply for Section 8.


What is the rural rental assistance program?

Rural Rental Assistance is used to reduce the rent paid by low-income families who live in eligible Rural Rental Housing (RRH) and Farm Labor Housing (FLH) projects financed by the Rural Housing Service. To receive rent assistance, monthly rent payments must exceed 30 percent of a household’s adjusted monthly income.


In order to qualify for this benefit program, you must live in a rural area, rent your dwelling and characterize your financial situation as low income or very low income. Applicants must be renting a unit or applying to rent a unit within an eligible RRH or FLH project. Interested applicants should contact the owner or manager of their building to determine if they are eligible for rental assistance.

What rental assistance application options are there?

The most well known rental assistance program is the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program. It’s a popular choice amount low income families because it allows the applicant to choose their own landlord. With the Public Housing program, the applicant has to live in an apartment complex that is owned by the issuing housing authority. It’s what’s known as a tenant based voucher. HUD is the Federal agency that funds these programs via the housing authority. There really is no such thing as a HUD application for rental assistance.

Learn more about how to apply for rental assistance in Illinois or in your area.